Oil States Industries, Inc. has an uncompromising commitment to quality products and service that has resulted in ELASTA-FLEX® Clutches and Brakes. K&L Clutch & Transmission is proud to provide, repair and install their pneumatic clutches.
Pneumatic Clutches: Uses and Capabilities
Pneumatic clutches are very powerful and an excellent fit for the large industrial machines your company depends on for your toughest job-site challenges, including auto cranes and other construction vehicles.
They offer a simple method for adjusting torque by providing excellent torque control, which is necessary for more heavy-duty vehicles and machines. While mechanical clutches usually have torque limiters that vary around 10 percent, pneumatic or air clutches typically limit torque variance to less than 5 percent — a significant difference. Pneumatic clutches are normally able to provide more speed and flexibility than mechanical clutches, for even larger machines.
To summarize: More torque. More power. More speed and flexibility. Sound good?
Let’s take a look at how they work:
Clutches, whether pneumatic, mechanical, or hydraulic, work by both locking two separate rotating parts together and unlocking them. This action can bring energy from one source to another, or take that energy away. The most common example is in a standard car, where the clutch is used to sync up the engine with the transmission in order to accelerate the vehicle. The clutch can then be used to un-sync the engine and transmission so that the vehicle can switch to another gear or slow to a stop without stalling the engine. The engine keeps spinning on its own until the clutch re-syncs it with the transmission, and so forth. Most smaller vehicles use mechanical clutches, but pneumatic clutches offer some amazing advantages for many machines and situations.
Pneumatics is the branch of technology that concerns the way gases can be used for mechanical purposes. In most pneumatic machinery, the gas used is the simplest of gases — clean air. In other words, pneumatics usually describes the use of air to move things. Unlike mechanical clutches (where solid moving parts do all the work), pneumatic clutches employ tightly compressed air to transfer energy from one moving part of a machine to another.
For example — you know those air tubes at the bank drive-through? Those use pneumatics in a similar, albeit much simpler, way. At the bank drive-through, when you put a check into the container and send it off, compressed air quickly shoots through the tube and pushes the container all the way to the bank teller.
When a pneumatic clutch is disengaged, compressed air quickly shoots through the shaft, toward the throw-out bearing, which opens the clutch and un-syncs the two rotating parts (like engine and transmission). When a pneumatic clutch is re-engaged, the air is bled out. A set of springs then release, reattaching the two rotating parts. Then it’s time to get moving again.
VC-Style and CB-Style Air Clutches
At KL Clutch, we’re proud to provide both VC-style and CB-style pneumatic clutches — the sort rugged enough for peak, reliable performance out in the oilfields, and flexible enough to be provide pneumatic clutch solutions across a variety of other industrial applications.
Both are constricting-type clutches featuring Oil State’s ELASTA-FLEX drum clutch elements—a flexible, fabric-reinforced inflatable elastomeric tube that expands radially inward—designed for severe, demanding clutch applications. When the tube constricts, it pushes the friction shoes against an outer cylindrical drum surface, which makes it easy to accurately determine and control element torque capacity.
Let’s take a look at the unique capabilities of each:
VC-type pneumatic clutches: Better heat dissipation. Higher torque capabilities. Increased longevity.
VC elements were principally designed for severe, high-torque, high-thermal-capacity clutching in heavy machinery with high starting loads. In other words: toughness, toughness, toughness.
By design, torque gets transmitted via torque bars from the side plates to the friction shoes. They work well for a few reasons: A well-ventilated construction improves heat dissipation from the friction shoes and cooling airflow. And the clutches boast high torque ratings, which makes it easy to use smaller diameter units (better for lowering contact velocity on high-speed applications). Because of what’s required of them, VC-style air clutches are in are in many ways considered to be the most trusty, tough styles of drum clutches.
A VC-style clutch might especially come in handy (compared to less efficient conventional clutches) if you’ve faced repeated clutch failures resulting from extensive slippage and high starting loads.
CB-type pneumatic clutches: torsional resilience and flexibility
CB-style air clutches, meanwhile, are most noted for their flexibility. Designed for power transmission in oilfield machinery, the CB elements work best in high-speed, medium torque applications—especially those where high heat generation (as seen in VC applications) is less of a problem. CB torque also gets transmitted through a sort of flexible neoprene side wall and cord actuating tube, which lets minor, naturally occurring shaft misalignment happen without causing larger problems. The neoprene tube automatically tightens up when friction surfaces wear, providing constant compensation.
Out in the oilfield, the CB-types fit a more broad array of applications than VC types, including engine, slush pump, and PTO applications.
Contact our industrial clutch specialists to get a better idea of which pneumatic clutch suits your needs.
The Marine Clutch series elements are an upgraded ventilated version of the CB series that provides high torque capacity for demanding applications. As with the CB series, the tube is integrally bonded to the outer rim. Unique to this series, the elements can be supplied as “new” or “remanufactured”. Due to heavier rim construction used on the Marine Clutch series, the outer rim can be reclaimed and reused. A new elastomeric element is then molded into the rim and new friction shoe assemblies installed.
26CM475 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
30CM500 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
35CM500 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
40CM550 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
48CM650 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
OIL STATES CLUTCH
The following is a partial list of Oil States Pneumatic Clutches that K & L Clutch provides parts for, repairs and installs:
Item Number Description
Oil States Eaton P/N Description
• 10A300-11A1 142197JB ELEM ASSY SF, SD, W/1 S/C
• 10A300-11AA 142197JN ELEMENT ASSY SF,SD, W/1 SC,HIC
• 10A300-11B1 142197JG ELEM ASSY SF,SD,W/2 S/C
• 14A400-11A1 142087JB ELEM ASSY SF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 14A400-11AA 142087JN ELEM ASSY SF,SD,W/1 S/C – HICO
• 14A400-21A1 142087KM ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 14A400-21BE 142087KJ SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
• 14A400-22A1 — ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
• 14A400-22BB 142604DA DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 S/C
• 14A400-22BC — DUAL ELEM ASSY,DF,DD,W/4 S/C
• 16A500-21A1 142211KM ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 16A500-21BE 142211KJ SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
• 16A500-21D1 142211KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
• 16A500-21EE 142211LP SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
• 16A500-22A1 142211LH ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
• 16A500-22D1 142211LJ ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
• 16A500-22EB 142432DD DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
• 16VC1000B1 142821HP ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
• 16VC1000D1 142821HM ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
• 16VC1000E1 142821HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 16VC600D1 142640HM ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
• 16VC600DR 142640HR ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV EXT SP IDECO
• 16VC600ER-01 — ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV,EXT SP EMSCO
• 16VC600G1 142640HE ELEM ASSY W/4 QRV
• 18A500-21A1 142264KM ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 18A500-21BE 142264KJ SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
• 18A500-21D1 142264KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W1 QRV
• 18A500-21EE 142264LM SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
• 18A500-22BB 142433DA DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
• 18A500-22D1 142264LJ ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W1 QRV
• 18A500-22EB 142433DD DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
• 20A500-21A1 142265KM ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 20A500-21BE 142265KJ SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
• 20A500-21D1 142265KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
• 20A500-21EE 142265LP SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
• 20A500-22A1 142265LH ELEM, DF, DD, W/1 S/C
• 20A500-22D1 142265LJ ELEM ASSY DF, DD, W/1 QRV
• 20A500-22EB 142434DD DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
• 20VC1000E1 142832HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 20VC600B1 142641HP ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
• 20VC600D1 142641HM ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
• 20VC600E1 142641HN ELEM ASSY W/2QRV
• 22A500-21D1 142266KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
• 22A500-22D1 142266LJ ELEM ASSY DF, DD W/1 QRV
• 22A500-22EB 142435DD DUAL ELEM ASSY DF, DD, W/2 QRV
• 24A500-21A1 142267KM ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 24A500-21BE 142267KJ SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
• 24A500-21D1 142267KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
• 24A500-21EE 142267LP SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2QRV
• 24A500-22A1 142267LH ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
• 24A500-22BB 142436DA DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 S/C
• 24A500-22D1 142267LJ ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
• 24A500-22EB 142436DD DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
• 24VC650B1 142642HP ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
• 24VC650D1 142642HM ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
• 24VC650E1 142642HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 26A525-21D1 142268KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
• 26A525-21EE 142268LP SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
• 26A525-22D1 142268LJ ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
• 26A525-22EB 142437DD DUAL ELEMENT, DF, DD, W/2 QRV
• 28A525-21A1 142269KM ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 28A525-21D1 142269KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
• 28A525-22D1 142269LJ ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
• 28A525-22EB 142438DD DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
• 28VC1000E1 142674HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 28VC650D1 142643HM ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
• 28VC650E1 142643HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 28VC650H1 142643HA ELEM ASSY 1 INLET,NO S/C
• 30A525-21A1 142270KM ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
• 30A525-21D1 142270KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
• 30A525-22D1 142270LJ ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
• 30CM500 412169 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
• 32A525-21D1 142271KN ELEM ASSY, DF, SD, W/1 QRV
• 32A525-21DA —– ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV-HI-CO
• 32A525-22D1 142271LJ ELEM ASSY, DF, DD, W/1 QRV
• 32VC1000B1 142673HP ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
• 32VC1000E1 142673HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 36A525-21A1 — SEE EAT142272KM
• 38VC1200B1 142739HP ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
• 38VC1200E1 — CLUTCH W/2 QRV
• 40A525-21D1 142273KN ELEM ASSY DF,SD, W/1 QRV
• 40A525-22A1 142273LH ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
• 40A525-22D1 142273LJ ELEM ASSY DF, DD, W/1 QRV
• 40A525-22EB — DUAL ELEM DF, DD, W/2 QRV
• 42VC1200E1 142677HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 42VC1200G1 142677HE ELEM ASSY W/4 QRV
• 46VC1200B1 142671HP ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
• 46VC1200E1 142671HN ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
• 46VC1200GQ-1 142671JL ELEM ASSY W/4 QRV EXT S/P
Please feel free to contact us to order a product or for more information!Order Now