Oil States Industries, Inc. has an uncompromising commitment to quality products and service that has resulted in ELASTA-FLEX® Clutches and Brakes. K&L Clutch & Transmission is proud to provide, repair and install their pneumatic clutches.
Pneumatic Clutches: Uses and Capabilities
Pneumatic clutches are very powerful and an excellent fit for the large industrial machines your company depends on for your toughest job-site challenges, including auto cranes and other construction vehicles.
They offer a simple method for adjusting torque by providing excellent torque control, which is necessary for more heavy-duty vehicles and machines. While mechanical clutches usually have torque limiters that vary around 10 percent, pneumatic or air clutches typically limit torque variance to less than 5 percent – a significant difference. Pneumatic clutches are normally able to provide more speed and flexibility than mechanical clutches, for even larger machines.
To summarize: More torque. More power. More speed and flexibility. Sound good?
Let’s take a look at how they work:
Clutches, whether pneumatic, mechanical, or hydraulic, work by both locking two separate rotating parts together and unlocking them. This action can bring energy from one source to another, or take that energy away. The most common example is in a standard car, where the clutch is used to sync up the engine with the transmission in order to accelerate the vehicle. The clutch can then be used to un-sync the engine and transmission so that the vehicle can switch to another gear or slow to a stop without stalling the engine. The engine keeps spinning on its own until the clutch re-syncs it with the transmission, and so forth. Most smaller vehicles use mechanical clutches, but pneumatic clutches offer some amazing advantages for many machines and situations.
Pneumatics is the branch of technology that concerns the way gases can be used for mechanical purposes. In most pneumatic machinery, the gas used is the simplest of gases – clean air. In other words, pneumatics usually describes the use of air to move things. Unlike mechanical clutches (where solid moving parts do all the work), pneumatic clutches employ tightly compressed air to transfer energy from one moving part of a machine to another.
For example – you know those air tubes at the bank drive-through? Those use pneumatics in a similar, albeit much simpler, way. At the bank drive-through, when you put a check into the container and send it off, compressed air quickly shoots through the tube and pushes the container all the way to the bank teller.
When a pneumatic clutch is disengaged, compressed air quickly shoots through the shaft, toward the throw-out bearing, which opens the clutch and un-syncs the two rotating parts (like engine and transmission). When a pneumatic clutch is re-engaged, the air is bled out. A set of springs then release, reattaching the two rotating parts. Then it’s time to get moving again.
VC-Style and CB-Style Air Clutches
At KL Clutch, we’re proud to provide both VC-style and CB-style pneumatic clutches – the sort rugged enough for peak, reliable performance out in the oilfields, and flexible enough to be provide pneumatic clutch solutions across a variety of other industrial applications.
Both are constricting-type clutches featuring Oil State’s ELASTA-FLEX drum clutch elements – a flexible, fabric-reinforced inflatable elastomeric tube that expands radially inward – designed for severe, demanding clutch applications. When the tube constricts, it pushes the friction shoes against an outer cylindrical drum surface, which makes it easy to accurately determine and control element torque capacity.
Let’s take a look at the unique capabilities of each:
VC-type pneumatic clutches: Better heat dissipation. Higher torque capabilities. Increased longevity.
VC elements were principally designed for severe, high-torque, high-thermal-capacity clutching in heavy machinery with high starting loads. In other words: toughness, toughness, toughness.
By design, torque gets transmitted via torque bars from the side plates to the friction shoes. They work well for a few reasons: A well-ventilated construction improves heat dissipation from the friction shoes and cooling airflow. And the clutches boast high torque ratings, which makes it easy to use smaller diameter units (better for lowering contact velocity on high-speed applications). Because of what’s required of them, VC-style air clutches are in are in many ways considered to be the most trusty, tough styles of drum clutches.
A VC-style clutch might especially come in handy (compared to less efficient conventional clutches) if you’ve faced repeated clutch failures resulting from extensive slippage and high starting loads.
CB-type pneumatic clutches: torsional resilience and flexibility
CB-style air clutches, meanwhile, are most noted for their flexibility. Designed for power transmission in oilfield machinery, the CB elements work best in high-speed, medium torque applications – especially those where high heat generation (as seen in VC applications) is less of a problem. CB torque also gets transmitted through a sort of flexible neoprene side wall and cord actuating tube, which lets minor, naturally occurring shaft misalignment happen without causing larger problems. The neoprene tube automatically tightens up when friction surfaces wear, providing constant compensation.
Out in the oilfield, the CB-types fit a more broad array of applications than VC types, including engine, slush pump, and PTO applications.
Contact our industrial clutch specialists to get a better idea of which pneumatic clutch suits your needs.
The Marine Clutch series elements are an upgraded ventilated version of the CB series that provides high torque capacity for demanding applications. As with the CB series, the tube is integrally bonded to the outer rim. Unique to this series, the elements can be supplied as “new” or “remanufactured”. Due to heavier rim construction used on the Marine Clutch series, the outer rim can be reclaimed and reused. A new elastomeric element is then molded into the rim and new friction shoe assemblies installed.
26CM475 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
30CM500 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
35CM500 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
40CM550 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
48CM650 MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
OIL STATES CLUTCH
The following is a partial list of Oil States Pneumatic Clutches that K & L Clutch provides parts for, repairs and installs:
Item Number & Description
Oil States – Eaton P/N – Description
- 10A300-11A1 – 142197JB – ELEM ASSY SF, SD, W/1 S/C
- 10A300-11AA – 142197JN – ELEMENT ASSY SF,SD, W/1 SC,HIC
- 10A300-11B1 – 142197JG – ELEM ASSY SF,SD,W/2 S/C
- 14A400-11A1 – 142087JB – ELEM ASSY SF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 14A400-11AA – 142087JN – ELEM ASSY SF,SD,W/1 S/C, HICO
- 14A400-21A1 – 142087KM – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 14A400-21BE – 142087KJ – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
- 14A400-22A1 – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
- 14A400-22BB – 142604DA – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 S/C
- 14A400-22BC – DUAL ELEM ASSY,DF,DD,W/4 S/C
- 16A500-21A1 – 142211KM – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 16A500-21BE – 142211KJ – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
- 16A500-21D1 – 142211KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
- 16A500-21EE – 142211LP – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
- 16A500-22A1 – 142211LH – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
- 16A500-22D1 – 142211LJ – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
- 16A500-22EB – 142432DD – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
- 16VC1000B1 – 142821HP – ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
- 16VC1000D1 – 142821HM – ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
- 16VC1000E1 – 142821HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 16VC600D1 – 142640HM – ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
- 16VC600DR – 142640HR – ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV EXT SP IDECO
- 16VC600ER-01 – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV,EXT SP EMSCO
- 16VC600G1 – 142640HE – ELEM ASSY W/4 QRV
- 18A500-21A1 – 142264KM – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 18A500-21BE – 142264KJ – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
- 18A500-21D1 – 142264KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W1 QRV
- 18A500-21EE – 142264LM – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
- 18A500-22BB – 142433DA – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
- 18A500-22D1 – 142264LJ – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W1 QRV
- 18A500-22EB – 142433DD – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
- 20A500-21A1 – 142265KM – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 20A500-21BE – 142265KJ – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
- 20A500-21D1 – 142265KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
- 20A500-21EE – 142265LP – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
- 20A500-22A1 – 142265LH – ELEM, DF, DD, W/1 S/C
- 20A500-22D1 – 142265LJ – ELEM ASSY DF, DD, W/1 QRV
- 20A500-22EB – 142434DD – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
- 20VC1000E1 – 142832HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 20VC600B1 – 142641HP – ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
- 20VC600D1 – 142641HM – ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
- 20VC600E1 – 142641HN – ELEM ASSY W/2QRV
- 22A500-21D1 – 142266KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
- 22A500-22D1 – 142266LJ – ELEM ASSY DF, DD W/1 QRV
- 22A500-22EB – 142435DD – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF, DD, W/2 QRV
- 24A500-21A1 – 142267KM – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 24A500-21BE – 142267KJ – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 S/C
- 24A500-21D1 – 142267KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
- 24A500-21EE – 142267LP – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2QRV
- 24A500-22A1 – 142267LH – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
- 24A500-22BB – 142436DA – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 S/C
- 24A500-22D1 – 142267LJ – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
- 24A500-22EB – 142436DD – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
- 24VC650B1 – 142642HP – ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
- 24VC650D1 – 142642HM – ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
- 24VC650E1 – 142642HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 26A525-21D1 – 142268KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
- 26A525-21EE – 142268LP – SPLIT ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/2 QRV
- 26A525-22D1 – 142268LJ – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
- 26A525-22EB – 142437DD – DUAL ELEMENT, DF, DD, W/2 QRV
- 28A525-21A1 – 142269KM – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 28A525-21D1 – 142269KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
- 28A525-22D1 – 142269LJ – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
- 28A525-22EB – 142438DD – DUAL ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/2 QRV
- 28VC1000E1 – 142674HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 28VC650D1 – 142643HM – ELEM ASSY W/1 QRV
- 28VC650E1 – 142643HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 28VC650H1 – 142643HA – ELEM ASSY 1 INLET,NO S/C
- 30A525-21A1 – 142270KM – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 S/C
- 30A525-21D1 – 142270KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV
- 30A525-22D1 – 142270LJ – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 QRV
- 30CM500 – 412169 – MARINE CLUTCH ELEMENT
- 32A525-21D1 – 142271KN – ELEM ASSY, DF, SD, W/1 QRV
- 32A525-21DA – ELEM ASSY DF,SD,W/1 QRV-HI-CO
- 32A525-22D1 – 142271LJ – ELEM ASSY, DF, DD, W/1 QRV
- 32VC1000B1 – 142673HP – ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
- 32VC1000E1 – 142673HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 36A525-21A1 – SEE EAT142272KM
- 38VC1200B1 – 142739HP – ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
- 38VC1200E1 – CLUTCH W/2 QRV
- 40A525-21D1 – 142273KN – ELEM ASSY DF,SD, W/1 QRV
- 40A525-22A1 – 142273LH – ELEM ASSY DF,DD,W/1 S/C
- 40A525-22D1 – 142273LJ – ELEM ASSY DF, DD, W/1 QRV
- 40A525-22EB – DUAL ELEM DF, DD, W/2 QRV
- 42VC1200E1 – 142677HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 42VC1200G1 – 142677HE – ELEM ASSY W/4 QRV
- 46VC1200B1 – 142671HP – ELEM ASSY W/2 S/C
- 46VC1200E1 – 142671HN – ELEM ASSY W/2 QRV
- 46VC1200GQ-1 142671JL – ELEM ASSY W/4 QRV EXT S/P
Please feel free to contact us to order a product or for more information!Order Now